A NEW LEGISLATION REGARDING ELECTRIC SKATEBOARDS IS COMING SOON
The French Government is committed to changing the rules of the road, to take into account the existence of new electric mobility devices and to define rules of use in the interest of all. The Ministries of Interior and Transport have just finalized a draft decree amending the Highway Code. This new regulation will be applied from September 2019.
WHAT DOES THE GOVERNMENT PROVIDE ?
The decree will create new provisions in the Highway Code. He will recognize electric skateboards as a new category of gear and define their status, equipment and traffic rules. At the same time, an article in the mobility legislation bill will allow mayors to apply possibilities of derogation from these rules, so that they can be adapted everywhere to the diversity of situations.
WHAT ARE THE NEW RULES?
The rules for electric skateboards will be essentially the same as those applicable today to cyclists, with certain specificities.
- Electric skateboard users must behave with cautious, both for their own safety and for others.
- It is forbidden to wear earphones or any other device that may emit sound.
- Wearing the helmet is not obligation but highly recommended.
- Electric skateboards must be equipped with: front and rear lights, retro-reflective devices (retro-reflectors), brake, and horn.
- It is forbidden to drive with a machine whose speed is not limited to 25 km/h.
- Electric skateboards are prohibited from driving on the sidewalk (unless the mayor arranges for them). On sidewalks, the machine must be driven by hand without using the engine.
- They have to travel on bike lanes. Otherwise, they may travel on roads whose maximum authorized speed is less than or equal to 50 km / h.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR ELWING BOARD?
Don't panic ! Your Elwing board get three speed modes. A slow mode at 15km/h, a normal mode at 25km/h and a sport mode at 32km/h. Therefore, we invite you to ride in the normal mode with a maximum speed of 25km/h and keep the use of sport mode for off-road rides.
Moreover, we advise you to wear a retro-reflective equipment (and lights) at night or during the day when there is insufficient visibility. At the moment, our board are not equipped with front and rear lights. We're working on our next electric skateboards range & we take into account this new French legislation.