Updated on 2020-10-06 by Quentin S.
When it comes to buy an electric skate, there's a lot of different stuff. In this post we'll only focus on street electric skateboards, excluding off-road gear.
Here are some things you need to check to find the one that suits you best:
- Top speed: It depends on many factors (rider's weight, road's inclination, surface quality...). Electric skateboards manufacturers often calculate their top speed in the best conditions (flat, clean road, full battery, around 80Kg rider). You can decrease it of about 5Km/h to calculate your top speed in most of real conditions.
- Weight: During the ride, the board's weight has little impact. However when you use it to commute, weight becomes a key factor because you often have to take it in public transportation or climb stairs. If this is the case, you'll need it as lightweight as possible.
- Price: You'll find all kinds of prices on the market. If we focus on lithium battery powered skateboards, prices go from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. Price will not only depend on the battery and the motor's quality and size, but also on the overall quality of the design. High quality trucks, wheels, deck, bushings, bearings, hardware and plastic case are more expensive but can make a huge difference in the riding experience.
- Remote control: It's important to have a user-friendly remote, during and after the ride. The best remotes are the smallest, with a progressive throttle to accelerate smoothly. Another cool feature is if you can fix it on the board when you're done, so you won't lose it. Some electric skateboards also have their own smartphone app which provide some extra features that are not essential but can be nice to have (board lock, position tracking, analytics...).
- Certification : Electric skateboards are sensitive, like all light electric vehicles, because they use lithium batteries. Make sure you chose certified top quality batteries (CE, FCC), to avoid manufacturing issues that could cause serious damage.
- Modularity : If you are not sure of what specs you need, modularity might be something very important to consider before buying your first board. At Elwing Boards we have put a lot of effort to create fully modular electric skateboards, so you can customize it and upgrade it long the way. The POWERKIT offers many options of decks, motors, batteries, remote controls. For example : if you start with a Standard battery, you just need to buy a Long Range battery to double the distance. Every part is easily removable so you can even ride with an extra battery in your backpack and swap it along the way to keep riding forever. In the same way, you can switch to a dual drive or put a different deck anytime.